Zucchini rolls couldn’t be easier to make, or more delicious. They are a perfect picnic snack or quick lunch, and have an awesome balance of nutrition.
This recipe includes Tofu Ricotta which is a very simple blend of ingredients, and can be made in large batches ahead of time, making these rolls – and a ton of other meals, like lasagna or ziti – even easier.
To cook the sliced zucchini, you can absolutely use an outdoor grill or grill pan to get those nice grill lines, and also to feel included at BBQs. Of course, you can absolutely use a normal saute pan, too!
One of the keys to this recipe is slicing the zucchini thin enough, and also cooking each slice all the way through– too thick or undercooked, and they won’t roll up, so make sure to cut the zucchini pretty thin, and make sure your heat is high enough to cook ‘em through quickly.
Once the zucchini slices are cooked, all you have to do is spread the tofu ricotta and then roll! And, of course, eat.
Grilled Zucchini Rolls
Yields: 12 rolls
Tofu Ricotta* – ¾ c
Mint, chiffonade – 3 tbsp
Basil, chiffonade – 1 oz
Thyme, chopped – 2 tbsp
Basil, whole leaves – 12 indv.
Zucchini – 2-3 indv.
Olive oil – as needed
Salt – to taste
Black Pepper, ground – to taste
- Grab a large mixing bowl, and fold all herbs into the tofu ricotta; then season to taste, and set aside.
- Prepare the zucchini by cutting off both ends, and then slice lengthwise into about 6 sections— you want to slice ‘em pretty thin, only about ¼”.
- Preheat a grill, or large pan, with a small amount of oil. Once hot, quickly grill each zucchini slice on both sides, until tender and slightly browned. Grilling these in batches, instead of all at once, can be a big help!
- Lay out your grilled zucchini on a clean surface or cutting board, and spread about 1 tbsp of the ricotta mix evenly across each.
- Tightly roll ‘em up! Be patient with yourself, since some might snap or break rolling too quickly. You got this.
- Garnish each roll with one whole basil leaf, and enjoy!
Thanks for reading!
~ Chef G.